Saturday, March 22, 2008

that we might HAVE life...

Because of Easter, I was reading the story of the crucifixion last night. I started in John, because my Bible was opened to John, and then read the account in the other three gospels.

I intended to write a post about the actual resurrection, but some verses in John really stuck out to me and I think it would be best to share them. This is a conversation between Jesus and His Dad and it concerns YOU, so eavesdrop, er... listen carefully:

"This is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and (also) Jesus Christ whom You have sent. I glorified You on the earth, having accomplished the work which You have given me to do. Now, Father, glorify Me together with Yourself, with the glory which I had with You before the world was. I have manifested Your name to the men whom You gave Me out of the world; they were Yours and You gave them to Me, and they have kept Your word. Now they have come to know that everything You have given Me is from You.
...
But now I come to You; and these things I speak in the world so that they might have My joy made full in themselves. I have given them Your word; and the world has hated them, because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world. I do not ask You to take them out of the world, but to keep them from the evil one. They are not of the world, even as I am not of the world. Sanctify them in the truth; Your word is truth. As You sent Me into the world, I also have sent them into the world. For their sakes I sanctify Myself, that they themselves also may be sanctified in truth. I do not ask on behalf of these [the disciples] alone, but for those also who believe in Me through their word; that they may all be one; even as You, Father, are in Me and I in You, that they also may be in Us, so that the world may believe that You sent Me. The glory which You have given Me I have given to them, that they may be one, just as We are one; I in them and You in Me, that they may be perfected in unity, so that the world may know that You sent Me, and loved them, even as You have loved Me. Father, I desire that they also, whom You have given Me, be with Me where I am, so that they may see My glory which You have given Me, for You loved me before the foundation of the world. O righteous Father, although the world has not known You, yet I have known You; and these have known that You sent Me; and I have made Your name known to them, and will make it known, so that the love with which You loved Me may be in them, and I in them." {John 17:3-7,13-26}

I know that's a lot to read and consider, but take a big bite... read it, think about it. Do you see how selfless Jesus is? He had the world, literally, and gave up the glory of heaven, glory He shared with GOD to do what He did. He didn't die for us so that we might "just" have forgiveness from sins, no, from this passage we see that He died so that we might share the relationship that He, the Son, was to have with the Father. So that we might be perfected in unity with God. So many times in this passage Jesus says, "even as you have given Me, or loved Me, or known me..." and He wanted those things for us. I am ashamed and yet so in awe of the person Jesus was. Not because He would be willing to die so that we could live, but He wanted us to REALLY live, and to experience a life that was rightly His and only His. What in the world?

I wish I didn't miss this part of Easter. The part where He gives us all that we don't deserve. I think "Easter! New clothes, bunnies, dying eggs..." and really cheat myself of an amazing experience: thinking about Him and why He came.

"I am the door; if anyone enters through Me, he will be saved, and will go in and out and find pasture. the thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I come that they may have life, and have it abundantly." {John 10:9-10}
Happy Easter everyone! He is Risen ~ and WE have life too!

5 comments:

  1. wow linds. those are awesome thoughts. It was great because I just read those last night. Thanks. Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I told Jimmy today, when we were at CBC Savannah, "Easter means more and more to me... each and every year."

    Every year I am more dumbstruck by my own depravity... and more awestruck by His Holiness... and more AMAZED at His Sacrifice. It blows my mind... and is the most powerful incentive I know of, to share Him.

    (Just another thought... "that they may be perfected in unity"... Jesus died so that we could be united with one another... even as He is united with His Father. How often we give Him less than He paid for...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know that first verse... I've just never thought of it as being what Christ said to God. It was so cool to think about it that way for me. I want to be able to pray like that...

    He is risen indeed! Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. heys linds. Did you not get my text? I found out last night that we were not going to church in Beaufort but driving up to visit my mom's family. I guess your phone had one of its wacky txt things. I missed you all terribly! I really thought I was going to be there...
    love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. No, I didn't get it but I wondered if you were going to another church or something. Sometimes... I don't like my phone :(

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to share your thoughts, ideas and questions! If you'd like to contact us additionally, email lindsay.bay@gmail.com.

Related Posts with Thumbnails Follow Me on Pinterest