Saturday, November 29, 2008

I do love it, but it isn't home...

I love Spokane. I loved the changing leaves and I love the pure white snow on the ground. I love the people. I love my school. I love the new things I'm doing. I love my new home.

I say "home" in reference to my apartment, but it's not HOME.

Home has a hound dog with sad eyes and two Jack Russells. Home has a sister who rearranges her room monthly and a taller younger brother with a man-voice. Home has a dad with a "waffle dance" and a mom who stays up till 4am just talking with us. Home has brick floors and a view of the marsh. Home has had one white Christmas, 20 years ago. Home has grandparents and people I've known since I was a baby. Home has fresh seafood and rednecks. Home has the beach and the Sands and the waterfront. Home is salty and humid. Home has random parties with dancing in the backyard and for music, someone's car pulled up with the stereo really loud. Home has a riding lawnmower that's older than I am. Home has a Night on the Town in December and a Water Festival in the summer. Home has the best potato salad ever, sweet tea and Frogmore Stew. Home has kayaking and jumping off Granddaddy's dock. Home has the best downtown ever, even though there's not much to it.

Home to me is not Spokane. When I say home, I really do mean Beaufort.

And I'll be there two weeks from today.

3 comments:

  1. "Oh there's no place like home
    For the holidays, ‘cause no matter
    How far away you roam
    If you want
    To be happy in a million ways
    For the holidays, you can’t beat
    Home, sweet home "

    Us back at HOME can't wait for you to get here!!! :) ya for home sweet home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! Whenever that song comes on the radio I think about how much I can totally relate :)

    After church today we were totally excited because we only have ONE more church service here... thirteen days!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to share your thoughts, ideas and questions! If you'd like to contact us additionally, email lindsay.bay@gmail.com.

Related Posts with Thumbnails Follow Me on Pinterest