Friday, August 21, 2009

A Quiet Life

Mindset is something I've been thinking about lately. It's been very obvious to me that saying and doing things for God aren't exactly what He wants. Instead we must be fully God's. Completely HIS in each and every way. Whatever my hopes are for myself as a person and even as a Christian, however good they are, are NOT to be more important than God Himself.

As obvious as it sounds, God doesn't care about who we are, our titles or names. He uses people from every walk of life, every shape and size.

Sometimes I have the mindset that I have to do something to be this great standout person in the faith. Like if I love God enough, lots of people will know about it. Not that I'm trying to seek the praise of men, but sometimes I forget and think that if I'm devout, the result will be that people talk about me.

I've already processed through that, so I know it's not a good mindset, but typing that out makes it sound even more silly.

The people I know who most exemplify godliness aren't special. Oftentimes, I can't recall a single profound thing they have said. The pattern I see is a life and heart directed toward God - a person living for Him.

The question I have to ask myself daily is "Do I want that?"

Do I want a life that may not be noticed, a life of serving God, learning more of Him, reading His word? I can answer that question in a very humble-sounding way without it being what's truly in my heart.

Do I WANT God to be my top priority? Do I want Him to be what life is all about? Do I want to completely remove myself from any importance? Do I die to self in areas that I struggle in, do I do things that are out of my level of comfort, do I follow Him even in areas where I would rather cringe or hide underneath something?

I have learned in the past few weeks that talking about our faith is of little importance if we do not have the lives to back it up. If our mindset is actually seeking the things of earth and not the things of God, we've got a problem. We have to change that. Our mouths can say all sorts of praises but we have to get over ourselves. We have to let our priority not be becoming someone people know and view as a "great" model of the faith.

Am I willing to live a quiet life? Am I willing to put aside all the things I want out of life for the greater praise and magnification of my Lord and Savior? Am I willing to change my heart and my mine to reflect Him in every single way?

Yes, Lord, please!

"I am determined to be absolutely and entirely for Him and Him alone" - Oswald Chambers, My Utmost for His Highest

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to share your thoughts, ideas and questions! If you'd like to contact us additionally, email lindsay.bay@gmail.com.

Related Posts with Thumbnails Follow Me on Pinterest