Saturday, November 6, 2010

Surprise!

I hate surprises.
I mean, really REALLY hate them. Knowing there's something going on and I'm not a part of it drives me crazy. Knowing later that people went and planned something (like a surprise party) for me and I didn't know about it makes me upset. People singing "Happy Birthday" in restaurants to me... well, that's not really a surprise. But I still hate it. Just ask anyone who's slyly asked the waiter to bring that brownie with ice cream and a candle out to the table. I turn red, I give a death glare, and, on occasion, I cry. Okay, so I was 8 at the time, but I'm still not above it!

Anyway, I think Carson's trying to break me of the surprise thing. He keeps planning date things and telling me to get ready but won't tell me what's going on. And believe me, I try my darnedest to figure it out.

Last Friday, he said he had a surprise planned. He said I could maybe wear jeans but he wanted me to wear a dress. He said that we should eat beforehand. And that we had to leave at ten minutes to seven. And I had no idea... but it drove me crazy.

It turned out to be West Side Story... the musical! He had passed the Civic Theater's sign a few days before, thought we'd both like it, and popped in to buy tickets. And we did like it! It didn't have professional actors and parts of it weren't perfect, but the story line wasn't ruined and the music was good and it was just so fun!

[Not to mention, Carson's still singing the songs... it's like the gift that keeps on giving!] ...

I'm not even close to saying that I like surprises now. I still hate them so much. But if thoughts can "count", then this one, and the other surprise things Carson has planned have definitely counted. He's incredibly thoughtful and creative with things we can do together. I love it! Spending time with my husband has definitely become my favorite thing to do. We're both quite busy and only have one or two nights together a week, so the times we do get are all the more special.

I may hate surprises, but the ones I've had lately have been really great :)

1 comment:

Feel free to share your thoughts, ideas and questions! If you'd like to contact us additionally, email lindsay.bay@gmail.com.

Related Posts with Thumbnails Follow Me on Pinterest