Tuesday, June 28, 2011

growing old together...

Some favorite memories...
the day we got engaged 

the fall we were engaged

the day before we were married... the time we hiked and saw a 360 degree mountain view
(that's Mt Rainier in the background, it's just washed out for some reason)
 

the time we made s'mores on the stove. i have never laughed so hard.

Carson and I only dated for a few weeks before we dated long-distance over the summer of '09. We were quickly engaged at the end of that summer. I had always just assumed that I would marry someone who I had been great friends with first, someone with whom I'd had history. For whatever reason, I didn't marry someone who was already my long-time best friend. I married someone I loved and respected, not a person I had many actual memories with, which was odd to me for some reason.

It wasn't until after we were married that I really could say that I truly married my best friend. And I say that having just looked through some pictures from the past two years. It's only been two years since we've been together, but they've been great. They've grown both of us in immeasurable ways. We've gained perspectives, ideas and experiences from two people who could not be more unlike one another. We now have memories and finally have more than two pictures together.

In some tiny way, I can see how amazing it must be to find yourself married to the same person for fifty years. The little jokes and memories of silly things. The ways you'd really know each other (I sometimes think I don't even know Carson at all) and read one another's mind. When we were engaged, we had no memories. We went back to May, and that was it. Now it's barely been two years, but there's so much more. I really can't wait for next year, and the year after that...

We're not "old" but I love that we are in the process of growing old, or at least older, together. 

:)

2 comments:

  1. awe... loved this. I can so relate. Gary is my best friend in the world now... but I really didn't know him that well prior to our wedding. I did respect him and love him though (very important things!). For some reason, not having a long history of friendship with him didn't bother me. The only way I can explain it is GOD. He knew what He was about, and what He was about was really good.
    Love YOU and the story God has written for you dearest.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to share your thoughts, ideas and questions! If you'd like to contact us additionally, email lindsay.bay@gmail.com.

Related Posts with Thumbnails Follow Me on Pinterest