Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Thankful for...

I met Jillian in my freshman year of high school, while she was still in middle school. I believe that it was around eight years ago, but that seems like such a long time, so I'm not sure!

We were part of the same bible study (led by Kristine), and through that group we started doing fun things like "kidnapping" friends for their birthdays (I had to change that wording a few times so it didn't seem like we were actual criminals), Smallville marathons and coffee shop outings. This was the only picture I could find from that time, and it should probably be destroyed (early 2005).

The fall of my sophomore year of high school, Jillian and I joined two others for a writing class, which would end up creating amazing friendships that lasted beyond high school. We did a lot more than writing, including putting on plays, which was the setting for this picture (2006).

In 2007, the writing class ended. We'd been through three years of "cold writing" prompts and essays on historical figures. This was taken a few days before I graduated high school, at a sort of farewell to high school dinner for me/end of class.

That fall, I stayed in Beaufort for another year. One thing led to another, and Jillian and I began co-teaching the junior-high girls' Sunday School class with our good friend Erin (we're all in the middle in this picture). It was a year full of growth and trusting God, but this was an incredibly fun experience. (2007-2008)

In 2008, Jillian and I were roommates in China for a few weeks, where we helped with a Vacation Language School. Christina and Katherine were our other apartment-mates and the four of us had an excellent time. Here we are in Tienanmen Square in Beijing.

In January of 2009, Jillian finally got to go to my beloved Ukraine with me and she fell in love with the people as well. We went with a small team and stayed in the orphanage. We three girls on the team certainly didn't get any style points while we were over there but we did our best to stay warm, being from South Carolina and all. We went ice skating, threw snowballs, shoveled snow, and were basically freezing the entire time, then we were off to the Netherlands for more adventures.

Later that summer, Jillian was the first person to rush over after hearing that I was engaged. She made the drive in a record 5 minutes (it usually takes more like 15).

 In early 2010, she broke another record for speed with her short engagement, and married on Valentine's Day. Emily and I celebrated with her with many tears (a first for me). 

Three months later, the two of them stood up with me as I married Carson. 

In 2011, Jillian was able to come and stay with Carson and I for nine days. You can read about that visit here. It was refreshing to spend time together as married women for the first time, and to show her the place I called home for four years. 

And this year, just a few weeks ago (October 21st), Jillian welcomed her first child, Miss Graceanna Lynn. I love her name - it means "double grace" and I love that Jillian is experiencing this first out of my close friends.  I hope to get over to Virginia and meet this little one soon, although technically we were introduced about two weeks after her birth, thanks to the internet. 

Pretty sure she waved hello. 

All that to say, for many years, I've been blessed with Jillian's friendship. It's been fun and silly, meaningful and serious, encouraging and challenging, so many things. I hope that one day we'll share the same zip code again, but in the meantime, I am so thankful for enduring friendships with new seasons and stages. Love you, Jillian!

2 comments:

  1. Aww... what a fun little history! I love it. Just two more years and we'll hit our big 10 year anniversary. I think that definitely deserves a celebration, don't you? :-)
    I too am very thankful for God's abundant kindness in our friendship and the precious gift of little Gracie. Love and miss you dearly Linds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this post popped up in the "you might also like" and just about made me cry. love you!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to share your thoughts, ideas and questions! If you'd like to contact us additionally, email lindsay.bay@gmail.com.

Related Posts with Thumbnails Follow Me on Pinterest