Thursday, May 9, 2013

Cinco de Mayo

We had such a fun Cinco de Mayo this year. It's not a holiday we tend to celebrate in any way (if we think about it, it's usually that day so we make a quesadilla or try to go for Mexican food that week), but this year we had things planned, and that was great!


We went out for margaritas with friends between church and the church picnic. Loving getting to know people over here and make friends. The day was hot and sunny so it was wonderful to munch on chips and salsa, sip yummy drinks, and enjoy good friends.

 
Clockwise starting with Carson: Carson, Lindsay, Deanna, Evan, Carrie, Abe, Luke, Chris 


After that we went over to the picnic. The church had reserved a private picnic area that had swingsets, a covered picnic area, a big field for Ultimate Frisbee, soccer and other games, and it was right next to a huge (medium-sized) ravine that had a creek running through it. I joined two friends in "hiking" down to the water... wearing glittery sandals. Carson was impressed with my abilities when I showed him my footwear, but it really felt like I was going to break a bone or at least a strap on my shoes. Wasn't expecting that kind of adventure. 


For the picnic, I made a yummy, easy salad that I thought would be fun to share. 

Ingredients:
1 red pepper, diced
1 green pepper, diced
2 cans of black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 bag of frozen corn
6 green onions
salt, pepper and lime juice

I mixed all of those together and refrigerated overnight. Served with blue corn chips, because they added yet another color. I had cilantro on hand but forgot to add it - next time, I certainly will. 
It's very fresh, southwestern, and at the end of the picnic, I saw someone dump the leftovers into the serving dish that they'd brought, to take home, so it must have been a hit!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to share your thoughts, ideas and questions! If you'd like to contact us additionally, email lindsay.bay@gmail.com.

Related Posts with Thumbnails Follow Me on Pinterest