Monday, May 25, 2015

Carson's Mickey Mouse Shirt

So I was on Pinterest looking at Disney things as we prepared for our trip. I came across a Cinderella tank top that was cute, but also mostly easy to recreate. My sister in law Erin made an iron-on shape of Cinderella for me and I just put it on when we got to the hotel the night before we went to the Magic Kingdom. 

Then I thought... what will Carson wear? Now, I'm not really the kind of person who wants to wear all out Disney when I'm in Disney World, but since I was, and I knew Erin was and the girls were, I asked Carson if he'd be okay with me making him a Mickey Mouse shirt to wear. We picked up a plain coraly orange t-shirt on sale at Old Navy (he picked the color, much to my surprise) and headed home. I already had textile medium, white acrylic paint and freezer paper at home. 

I traced the shape of Mickey's head onto the dull side of the freezer paper, cut it out with scissors, ironed it on the shirt, stuck a flexible cutting board inside the shirt to reduce the paint seeping through the front, and began to paint. I used 2 parts paint to 1 part medium and painted away. I had to do a ton of coats since the material soaked up the paint. Since I did this the night before we left, I used a hair dryer to help speed up the process. And then while it was still tacky but not dry, I took the freezer paper off. I didn't want to wait until it was totally dry because I was afraid of the paper pulling paint off. Some paint seeped out of the sides because of the material, but I kind of liked the way it looked.



In retrospect, I'd probably have made the Mickey head a little bigger, but I didn't measure it on him first. Carson loved his shirt though!

1 comment:

Feel free to share your thoughts, ideas and questions! If you'd like to contact us additionally, email lindsay.bay@gmail.com.

Related Posts with Thumbnails Follow Me on Pinterest