Thursday, September 17, 2015

My New Hobby

A few Christmases ago, I tackled my first embroidery project and made my sister a pillow with ferns on it. I hope she's thrown it away because it really was terrible. 

And honestly, these are things I'm going to look back on one day and wrinkle my nose at, because I think they're very much the work of a beginner who googles embroidery stitches and tries to imitate them, making it up as I go along. 

But it's fun, and fairly cheap. Hoops are inexpensive, and when I was in Washington we found bulk embroidery floss for $1 a packet of several different colors and bought 10, so for $10 I now have lots and lots of floss that I've dutifully wound onto spools.

So here are a few of the things I've made lately! 

I made this for my friend Jillians birthday.  

And I worked on this one for Emily's baby, Tirzah. The satin stitches are something I think I'm getting better at but still need to improve.




I saw something on Pinterest with a rainbow of French knots, and the first time I tried French knots was on the hoop for Tirzah, so I was feeling confident. I did the knots too close to each other and don't really like how it was going so I stopped working on this after a whole bunch of those stupid knots. I think I've got the hang of them now though :)


I made this one for Morgan's sweet Grayson. The lighting is SO bad, but I really liked this one. 

It also occurred to me that I could stain the wooden hoops, so I grabbed some leftover stain from our rocking chair project and brushed on one little coat on some of my hoops. I wasn't totally sure how people kept the hoops secure when they were all finished, so I hot-glued them  in place. The back isn't pretty, so maybe I should also work on that in the future :)

And last, I've been making these little patchwork states. They've been fun to do and they're helping me practice that satin stitch. If you're a friend of mine, I might have made your state too! 


1 comment:

  1. These are sooo cute! You should seriously think about selling them! I'd buy one in heartbeat!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to share your thoughts, ideas and questions! If you'd like to contact us additionally, email lindsay.bay@gmail.com.

Related Posts with Thumbnails Follow Me on Pinterest